Quote of the Day

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Many stories from Kashmir remain untold: Filmmaker Onir


Why is it that a Bollywood film on Kashmir situation leaves a Kashmiri nauseating? Meet filmmaker Onir, who claims to have just found the answer we already know. Stereotyping. “We can't afford to fool the audiences any more. As a filmmaker you don't only have to entertain, but inform too” he says. But the catch lies in not compromising on the reality.
Onir has stopped being bogged down by the demands of the mainstream, and has emerged as a filmmaker who makes his films talk about issues.
Like his critically acclaimed, My Brother Nikhil and Sorry Bhai which were both sans frills and chiffon saris, yet were well received. “I would prefer doing nothing, then do something I don't believe in”, he says.
Now that he confesses having fallen in love with Kashmir, he's upbeat about his upcoming I Am. The film tells the interwoven stories of four individuals, each dealing with personal conflicts.
One of these stories, I Am Megha is about the relationship between two Kashmiri women, one is Hindu and another a Muslim. The film is also unique as it has been co-produced by over 400 people from 35 cities across the world.
“It's a tale of individuals struggling to find their identity, and uphold their dignity,” he says, about the film, set for April release.
The interaction with the locals, while researching for the film presented to him a new, battered face of Valley. “We know much about the situation in Kashmir through newspaper headlines, but I realised that the real stories of people remain untold. The situation in Kashmir is complex, so are the stories of suffering,” he says.
“However, I confess that am just touching one aspect of the entire situation,” he adds.
What could be his contribution towards the “cause”, he would wonder. “I was amazed to see the potential of the youth there. It would be a great idea to work with the young brigade.”
He has decided to come up with a film workshop for the Valley youth. “But at the end of the day, I am an outsider. I believe that if the trained youth of the Valley choose to tell their stories, they will certainly touch many more hearts.”
“It's sad, that because of the politics of a few corrupt people, so many people are suffering. The place, like anywhere else can be rich and happy. And like anyone else, he doesn't see an immediate solution to the turmoil.”
The hurt is huge, he says.
How did the idea of making a film on an issue in the backdrop of Kashmir conflict come across?
I have been following Kashmir for a long time now. Conflict disturbs me, especially when it results in a divide between the communities. I have a lot of Kashmiri friends, both Muslims and Hindus, and I see how all of them fiercely love the place. All of them are hurt because the land they love is so battered. Initially, I wanted to make a film that was a love story between a Hindu girl and a Muslim boy in the current political scenario, and a mutilated history. I came here to research for a certain story, and realized that there were so many other stories waiting to be told.
What has your initial idea of the Kashmir conflict been? And what's your present understanding of the issue?
I think it's a very complex situation, at the root of which could be a lack of economic growth and education, and of course the instrument of hate. I sometimes believe that too many people are benefitting from this situation of conflict, and maybe they all do not want it to end. It's the common people who are suffering.
After visiting the Valley a couple of times, I can't understand what is the use of a fancy golf course when basic amenities are not there in the hospitals.
I feel divide and rule was a policy used by the Britishers to divide us and make us weaker. As a human being I do not believe in division because of religion, caste, color or language. I think we do not attack the real problem. Corruption is what is killing Kashmir.
I wonder where does so much money that comes into the state go? If you look around, unlike the rest of India there are no slums and no homeless beggars. So, one wonders is this conflict keeping the masses busy from questioning the real problem? Is it diverting their attention?
As a person I would hate to live surrounded by Army, at the same time when I look at the soldiers, living in miserable conditions, unwanted by all, who might be killed any time doing a job they are doing probably for survival, I feel sad.
Kashmir makes me question a lot of things. I don't have answers. all I know is that I would like to reach out with love and hope the process of trust and love overcomes hate.
Can you talk about your initial association with the valley?
My best friend is a Hindu migrant from Kashmir. Apart from that I have many Kashmiri Muslim friends. I love the Kashmiri food and also love that the Valley has such great appetite for art and music which has got suppressed because of the current situation.
Where all did the research for the film take you?
Mainly Srinagar and nearby areas. For me it was about meeting people and talking to them and trying to understand their stories.
How has your interaction with the people there been?
I think it began with a little bit of caution from both the sides. But as a person, I like to talk honestly about what I feel, also I am a good listener. And by the time I left Srinagar, I felt that there were so many lovely people there. In felt sad for the Valley. I feel that I would like to actively like to reach out to people. I feel people there also need to be exposed to the world, to us in the mainland. And the masses should realise too that politics and common people are very different. They will also feel the love that the mainland feels for them. But for that people to people contact is necessary.
There are so many stories lying around there. Am sure you yourself must have come across with many. How and why did you finally settle down for this one? And this character?
If I could, I would make five more films in Kashmir. I already have two more scripts with the Kashmir connection. For me, I wanted to tell the story of Megha from the perspective of two women. Often, political decisions are made by men, and women are made to follow it. Politics and religion have so often been used to dominate women. I feel if the world was ruled by women we would perhaps be a better world. Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to see the politics of Kashmir from the perspective of two women. One who has lost her home and identity and the other whose growth and freedom is curtailed because of the conflict. So, ultimately it's everyone's loss. For me Kashmir is too complex for me to be able to pass judgements. My film is only to open up a dialogue where there is either silence or hatred. My film is an attempt to understand each other and love.
Tell us more about the film workshops you are keen on conducting in Kashmir? What's the thought behind?
I feel all that I can do as a filmmaker is to reach out in my way to a place I have grown to love. I want to reach out in my tiny way to the youth there, help them train in the art of filmmaking. I feel there is a lot of talent that's untapped in the Valley. I feel this way, they can tell their own stories. Both Sanjay Suri (actor and co-producer) and I are also very keen to make a film in Kashmiri language. Perhaps I Am was a first step where in a mainstream film so much of Kashmiri language is used. That's because of our love for the Valley and the people. Cinema is an instrument for dialogue and we feel Kashmir needs that.
What according to you is the general perception of public of India about Kashmir situation?
I think people in the mainland are sad that so much money is wasted because of the conflict, and they want it to be resolved. But problem aren't resolved by building walls, but by building bridges. Kashmir has so much to offer to the world and the rest of the country that it's a shame to let the place languish.
In a city like Mumbai, the perception is that jointly all of us need to fight corruption and the politics of hate and achieve better lives for all of us.
Megna and Rubina, Hindu and Muslim woman. Did you get to interact with the women, both Muslim and Hindu of the Valley?
Yes, I have met women in Kashmir. Both Hindus and Muslims and I think women in Kashmir are amazing. They are strong and beautiful. I personally think they are far more progressive then the male population. I think if all the ladies would sit together, they will find a solution to the problem faster. Maybe I am being utopian, but I truly would like to believe in that.
Importantly, how difficult is it for a filmmaker to be objective when dealing with a sensitive/real/humane issue like Kashmir? Can you talk about the bottlenecks you faced? How did you manage to strike the balance?
As a filmmaker it's very difficult to deal with Kashmir. Especially as an outsider. But I feel it's most important to keep yourself open as a human being and you will feel for another without being judgmental. It's very easy to take sides and be judgmental. But more important to observe. For me I Am Megha is in the space of “no man's land”. It's just portraying the tragedy of conflict and hopes for a better loving world. As a human being I follow one rule. I cherish human dignity and freedom, as long as it's not at the cost of someone else's freedom and dignity.
I believe in inclusive freedom not exclusive. A freedom where walls created by cast, creed, religion, color, gender and sexuality are broken down. I believe in the dream of Tagore.
Do you see the role of cinema in conflict resolution?
Films can play an immense role when it comes to creating a dialogue. Definitely, cinema can create a public opinion. So, seeing the power of this media, it seems to be the worst casualty in a conflict situation. It's unfortunate that there are no cinema halls in Kashmir. Cultural cinema has to grow here. As far as I know, films are the only source of entertainment there.
You insist that the subject you chose proved to be difficult, and has multiple dimensions. Why didn't you switch over to a more direct, documentary format rather than stick to feature film?
Just because fiction lets one deal with the complexities of an issue. As a filmmaker, I never wanted to my audiences that 'see what's happening'. Is that not what the newspapers are already doing? As a filmmaker, I wanted people to feel the pain of Kashmir. I might not be doing justice, as I not dealing with the situation as a whole, but by touching one aspect, I am at least making a start.
FOZIA YASIN
source: www.kashmirdispatch.com

No comments: